Our certified teacher training program creates a solid and well-rounded foundation in the art of teaching yoga. We are committed to providing each student with the necessary tools to teach with compassion, integrity and knowledge while honoring their own internal wisdom, and authentic voice. Each student will leave with confidence that they are ready to teach yoga to all students regardless of age, physical fitness, or injuries.
Theory and Practice of Yoga
The practice of the asanas is the basis of our teacher training philosophy. This foundational training will emphasize deepening the students’ personal asana practice, which we believe to be the greatest source for creative teaching. In addition to a strong asana practice there will be a comprehensive study of the techniques and mechanics of fundamental yoga postures, while providing the tools necessary to teach yoga to others. To facilitate a more scientific understanding of the body, the training will include the study of functional anatomy and physiology. The training will also give developing teachers a balanced understanding of yoga by moving beyond the physical with the study of Vippasana meditation, (encouraging students to develop a daily meditation practice at home), a deep understanding of Pranayama, and an exploration of the Chakras, Nadis, Kriyas, Dristhi and Bandhas.
- Names (Sanskrit and English)
- Standing, seated, and finishing asanas of the Primary Series and other flow sequences with a detailed breakdown of the poses
- Practice and health benefits of the asanas
- Alignment principles
- Modifications for injuries
Vinyasa Yoga System
Practicing and teaching the sequences:
- Full Primary Series-Ashtanga
- Modified Primary Series- Ashtanga
- Mixed level routines – Flow Yoga
Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomical groupings: feet, legs, pelvis, spine and shoulder girdle
- Physiology of inversions, breathing and the nervous system.
- Ujjayi Pranayama – theory and practice
- Working with breath in flowing sequences
- Suryanamaskara A and B – theory and practice.
- Technique and practice of Vipassana Meditation
- Chakras- name, location, importance
- Nadis – theory and practice
- Bandhas – names, location, practice
- Dristhi- location and practice
- Kriyas- description and practice
Special Yoga Classes
- Prenatal Yoga
- Restorative Yoga
- Kids Yoga
Over 2,000 years ago the sage Patanjali described the process of Yoga as a way to reach higher consciousness and peace in his writings known as The Yoga Sutras. These sutras (written as aphorisms) help to deepen the awareness of our relationship with ourselves, with others, and with our environment.
We will cover the following historical texts and yoga masters:
- The Yoga Sutras- Patanjali’s 8 Limbs of Yoga
- The Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- T. Krishnamachayra
- Pattabhi Jois
- BKS Iyengar
The Theory and Practice of Teaching
The art of teaching requires a great level of sensitivity, compassion and practice. A teacher must encourage and inspire, being sensitive to both the needs of individuals as well as those of the group. The practical and subtle aspects involved in teaching will include:
- How to be an effective teacher
- Use of voice, detailed instruction, body language, touch
- The art and science of flowing through sequences
- Learning how to see and understand bodies
- The purpose and use of props
- Hands on adjustments
- Practice teaching
- Teacher observation
On completion of our training the student will receive a Barefoot Yoga Studio Certificate and will have met all of the 200-hour Yoga Alliance Certificate requirements. They may also be considered for a teaching position at the Barefoot Yoga Studio. Graduates of the program will have the opportunity to grow into teachers with wide ranging careers that include teaching classes, workshops and retreats or even opening their own yoga studio.
Robert Boswell, Wai-Mei Yeung
Please notice our early bird tuition discount date on each course.
Non-refundable deposit to save your spot: $250
Flexible payment plans available, please contact us for application.
Tuition fee is non-refundable.
To apply, please write to us [email protected] for application form.
Barefoot Yoga Studio
10150 Olive Drive, Suite B
Davis, Ca 95616
(530) 753-YOGA (9642)